Insomnia - Is this another issue baby boomer women are expect to just accept?


Insomnia is not one of the rewards I was expecting as I entered this next phase of life as a baby boomer woman!

Lack of sleep all starts when you start a family. (Well actually it started before that. College and as a young professional it was work, nap, go out at night, sleep a little, work …. But that is not the point here).

As mothers we rarely have a sound night’s sleep while raising our children. We sleep light in order to hear our babies. As they grew they woke us up, when they got their driver’s license we stayed up worrying, ... Get the point?

Now the children are all grown and gone and we can now enjoy a night of sleep. But wait a minute! No mentioned to me, now as a woman in her 50’s, I get to enjoy Insomnia! A friend mentioned just yesterday that her doctor said “it is just part of aging”. She asked those of us who were there, “is that true? Is this something we just have to accept? “

Of course we all had various comments, but I have to admit, I have thought about her question and it was the reason for this blog.

Is this something we just have to accept? So many other aspects of our health and life we haven’t “just accepted”. So why should this be any different? It is so disturbing that there are so many doctors out there that use that comment as a reason or explanation. Check out local health clinics and seminars such as my friend's monthly sessions at Louisville Pharmacy.

I was searching through Google images for something to symbolize insomnia for my blog and other items and found that most of the women models were shown in bed, looking at a clock that said 5 or 6 a.m. Heck, if I sleep till 5 or 6 a.m. I had a great night’s sleep! The models and photographers surely are not over 45!

What have you found that works, doesn’t work? Please share with us at my Insomnia Friends Group in the Community Section on Bikinis and Bifocals.com.

Sweet Dreams

No comments: